A localized website is one of the most cost-effective ways to ensure your business goes places. Given that 80% of people across the world do not speak English, website localization can help you gain competitive advantage in new markets while boosting page visits and conversion rates. Apart from these benefits, a localized website helps improve search engine optimization (SEO) in local markets.
Your Website Should Speak to the Locals
The core purpose of a localized website is to make the target audience feel that the site was created specifically for their needs. However, how do you know that you’ve done the best possible job of localizing your content? The answer is you run a test on a sample of your target audience. An effective test should help you optimize the cultural appropriateness and comprehensibility of the following:
- Text and graphics.
- Colors, icons, symbols and schemes.
- Personal names and title conventions.
- Socioeconomic status.
- Date and time formats.
- Calendar formats.
- Numeric formats – addresses, zip codes, telephone numbers.
- Currency used.
- Weights and measures.
- Sorting, collating and aligning data.
- Paper sizes.
- Diverse local legal requirements.
- Keyboard usage.
- User interface.
Testing will Help you Get Things Right
The feedback from a sample audience can help you understand if your website content respects the local customs and conventions including local religions, social taboos, and superstitions. For example:
- Cutting nails after sunset is regarded as a bad omen in Indian culture.
- Japanese culture holds strong beliefs with respect to the connection between blood types and personalities.
- In Chinese culture, certain colors carry deep symbolism. For instance, black borders surrounding a picture can indicate death, while white is a color associated with funerals.
Complying with Regulations
Your Local Test Audience is Invaluable
When you test your website on a sample audience who are native speakers of the local language, you are receiving the benefit of an in-context review. For instance, different words in various local contexts can have different meanings and connotations. A native speaker can assess if words used have the correct meaning in that particular region.
Why Choose Localize?
The goal at Localize is to help you create a compelling business website that is as relevant for international customers as it is for your domestic clientele. Localize has a kit of perfect collaboration tools integrated right into our platform. This makes it easy for your expert translators to create engaging messages in their native language that will resonate with your local audiences. Get in touch with us today for more information on the benefits of website localization and how Localize can help you achieve them.